Da Capo

05 July 2006

And Time Passes Us By


Timing really is everything.

I've had a recent encounter with my past and it has driven this point home. Once upon a time we shared a brief moment. The strongest instant connection I've had in my life. Alas, time was not on our side and we continued on our paths. Meeting again in a small world moment years later, time was still against us (well, time and alcohol and an insane ex). Parted again until last night.

And wouldn't you know it, time is still not with us.

But still, good times were had, saying the things we should have said before. Mostly because I think we have accepted our fate.

It has got me thinking. A few of the relationships in my life right now have definitely been affected by timing. How different would we be if the stars had been with us at the crucial moments? How different would I be? In this random thing that is our reality, it can feel like someone is pulling the strings and toying with us. Like the Greek gods looking down on humanity and intervening for their own amusement.

Of course, it goes both ways. We often benefit from great timing and happy accidents. So who's to say that the supposed 'bad timing' wasn't actually good timing?

I have one dear friend now that would serve as proof of this. What seemed like a string of missed moments and bad timing when we first started to get to know each other has actually served to solidify the friendship we have now. It is deeper and more honest because of all that came before.

So my ghost returns to my old home tomorrow. I know we shall see each other again. Because this time we are grownup and have declared we shall keep in touch. I feel good about this. Friendship with my previous bad timer is stronger than ever. And I am falling for the guy I am taking a second time 'round with, something I couldn't let myself do the first time. Timing seems to be working out for me. Maybe looking out for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home